Friday, May 23, 2008

The DE-evolution of the human body



Women and men were made to stand upright and to walk upright. Most of the things we naturally do in life (except for sleeping) involve us standing in an upright position. So then what happens when the majority of our society spends a significant portion of their day sitting hunched over a computer? Most of us doing so at a workspace that is not "ergonomically correct." It's hard to believe that this unnatural position is doing anything good to our backs, legs, neck, etc. I have been experiencing some awful neck pains myself the past few years as I spend quite a bit of time, with shoulders rounded and neck protruding forward, at a small laptop. As I massage the back of my neck I have to wonder, "Is this going to hurt for the rest of my life?" And what about our children? I didn't really spend time in front of a computer until I was 18 and in college, but our children will begin in this awful seating position before they even enter school. Then what about the next generation...and the next? If you're a Christian (like me) you're probably wondering if somehow we are tampering with God's creation. If you are a Darwinist you're probably wondering if we are actually de-evolving, returning to a pre homo erectus australopithecus afarensis. 

Either way, my back and neck hurts from writing this so I'm taking off.

No comments: