Sunday, October 26, 2008

Being the Black Guy

So it seems that in my moves from state to state I have found myself in decreasingly diverse communities. When I left California to move to Arizona I was surprised how little of a Black community there was. The Black population in Phoenix was 4% but you could definitely find a great share of Black owned businesses, barbershops, plenty of Black churches, etc. When we moved from Arizona to Greeley, I was beyond shocked, in fact even depressed at the .87% Black population in town. As noted in an earlier blog, I can't even find a person to cut my hair within a 2 hour drive (I have since made the long trip to Denver to haircut and even set a hair appointment back in Sacramento when I visit).

So since I've been here, and particularly since I am teaching at the university, I find myself, moreso than ever before, becoming "the Black guy" where I am now the official spokesperson for all things Black and all things intellectually Black. I have already received various invites to speak at engagements and I find myself in an interesting predicament. On one hand, I realize that I AM a Black scholar and this is what I do. I study Black people. So I guess it is not outrageous that I get asked to speak on various topics. But I can't help to wonder if I'm being asked because of my expertise or simply because I'm the only option in town. The latter would then make me wonder if I lived in a more diverse city, with other Black scholars, would I still be called upon to speak on such issues, or would someone else be more qualified? I guess in my particular situation, I will never know until the university or community attracts more Black scholars. And so, until then, I will just proudly assume my post as the "Black Guy"

2 comments:

Kelly Cook said...

Isn't it funny that I bet people even feel some what sensitive about this--- I really love to discuss issues of black culture with you both for your scholarship and your heritage, although I will be honest, the scholarship wins...

then I think, this isn't what Quaylan wants to talk about, then I think, yes he does, he studies it, then I think, perhaps he gets exhausted of that discussion... it is really circular logic that leads me to insecurity. I mostly hope you don't find out I am always engaging you in these discussions to get closer to your hot wife.

Honestly though, I appreciate your educated opinion. All 6 black kids at my school also get weary of being glanced at when I mention the history of slavery or black leaders, but I know they feel a huge sense of pride in their culture.

Is there a good answer to this. On one hand you want to represent your knowledge, background, bring diversity, ENCOURAGE diversity, on the other hand we are all more than our label.

I love and hate being the woman in my crowd of male colleague friends. I love and hate being the Spanish-speaking Anglo in the Latino crowd that I adore.

Shrug

GB_Fan said...

Even though we've never met, I follow your blog and your wife's. "Why?" you ask. I am Kellys Mom and long ago she told me that she had met and was renting to this "awesome couple". Not a bi-racial couple, not a white gal and her black hubby, not a Black Professor and his white wife...but an "Awesome couple" period! So you can think of yourself as "The Black Guy but I venture to guess that the majority of those you meet will also see the "awesome" part only. I know you may argue otherwise.

Many, many years ago when I was 13 and a freshman in HS, I attended an all girls Catholic school in California. I had an art/music teacher that I absolutely adored by the name of Sister Martin. I came home with antidotes and bits of wisdom that she blessed me with daily to share with my Mom. One day in re-telling one of Sisters stories I mentioned her by her full name of Sister Martin DePores. (sp?) It seems that my Mom, being the well read lady she was, knew that Martin DePores was a Black canonized saint. She asked me if Sister Martin was black...I didn't know. My Mom told me to look at her the next day and let her know. I forgot and my Mom dropped it as it really didn't matter because Sister was my mentor and hero just being who she was...which was simply being an incredible teacher, loving influence and all 'round hysterical person. A few weeks later there were Parent-Teacher meetings which my Mom attended. She told me later (after I graduated) that there was no doubt Sister was black, as a matter of fact, looking back at old year books, Sister Martin greatly resembled Whoopi Goldberg.

Oh sure I know there are areas of the country where whites stand out or where blacks stand out. But, I was raised in a family where people are who they are on the inside first, then you look for the outer characteristics. I am happy to say that apparently I seem to have succeeded in passing along the same ability for seeing what's really important as far as first impressions in my kids.

So forgive me if I or others have to think and then look to see your color...I think there are more like me, Kelly and her brother than there are who see your color first.

I know Brooklyn will be a person that when she is described will have many "awesome" or the like adjectives used and only as an after thought might race come in to it. I know it, I feel it because.... She has incredible parents setting the right example.

Hugs,
Mary Liz